Belfast Waterworks Park
Despite its rather unappealing name the Waterworks is a very pleasant public park in north Belfast. It is situated on the junction of the Antrim Road and Cavehill Road, just over a mile and a half from the city centre. Belfast Waterworks is popular with families, walkers and runners, and those interested in wildfowl and nature. It also provides an excellent view of the Cavehill, especially the aspect known as Napoleon’s Nose.
Belfast Waterworks Construction
The Waterworks came into being in the 1830’s when Mr Pinkerton of Solitude House offered his land to the Water Commission to provide water supplies to the north of the town. The construction of two reservoirs was complete by 1842 at a cost of £8,000. William Dargan was the designer. Dargan was one of the most successful engineers of the time. In 1833 he had planned and built Ireland’s first railway from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire.
Unfortunately, as the Marquis of Donegall had fraudulently sold water rights to both the Commission and local mill and factory owners, the early years of the Waterworks were far from trouble-free! As a result a series of legal battles ensued with a resolution achieved finally in the 1860’s. By this time the area around the Waterworks was built up with the Newington and Oldpark districts. The old location name Solitude no longer applied, although it remains in the name of Cliftonville football ground which backs onto the park.
Days of Mermaids, Monsters and Sea Battles
Belfast’s rapid growth meant that the water supply was no longer adequate for the growing city by the 1870’s and the Commission opened the dams instead for limited public events. The Waterworks hosted huge festivals for the entertainment of the populace, such as The Fete of the Mermaids, The Fete of the Aquatic Monsters and even epic sea battles brought to explosive life through the use of fireworks! Great days out for lucky visitors of the time!
The Water Commission increased the leisure facilities available at the site, although admittance was based on a key and ticket system. Key holders paid an annual subscription and could access the park at any time. Visitors could purchase tickets for daily visits. The upper pond, with a depth of 40ft, now featured rowing boats and a diving platform. It hosted fishing and diving competitions as well swimming galas. There was even speedboat racing in 1929. The smaller, lower pond was a favourite with model boat enthusiasts. A miniature railway carried passengers from one end of the park to the other.
Construction of an ice-house within the park grounds supported local butchers and fishmongers in the days before refrigeration.
The Modern Waterworks
In 1956 the Water Commission sold The Waterworks to Belfast Corporation for £4,000. They incorporated Queen Mary’s Gardens at the Antrim Road boundary into the larger park. For safety reasons the Corporation reduced the depth of the two lakes. They stocked the old upper reservoir with fish and constructed a man-made island to attract breeding birds. Many wildfowl including mute swans, mallards, tufted coots and cormorants have now made The Waterworks Park their home. Improvements to the lower section of the park include a landscaped river and mini waterfall and a popular children’s playground.
Scheduled Saturday “Park runs” of 3 miles around the Waterworks for walkers and joggers are fun events and attract lots of families and people of all ages and fitness.
The Waterworks provides a pleasant breath of fresh air in this now urban location. At the very top of the park the little stone bridge, built in 1835, is still in existence. Many adults of north Belfast still retain happy memories of long childhood days spent in the Waterworks, myself included.
Belfast Waterworks Photo Gallery
Click to enlarge photos
Short Youtube Videos of Belfast Waterworks
Belfast Entries is a husband & wife hobby website featuring articles on our shared history and entertaining stories of our past. We hope you enjoy visiting the website and would particularly like to thank those who have made a donation through the “Buy Us A Coffee” facility.
If you enjoyed this article...
If you like the Belfast Entries stories and want to see ALL new posts, please add us as Facebook friends by clicking the button to receive notifications of new posts. Remember that we can only post to a specific group if the subject is relevant – no group will see all posts as our topics vary every week.
What are others reading now?
Please share our posts to help us increase readership for future posts. All posts can be shared directly from this website page or can be shared from our Facebook page.
You can also add feedback to the Comments section below every post. Comments will not appear immediately as we have to vet the comments submitted to remove automated adverts/ SPAM. All genuine comments are welcome.
Belfast Entries posts & photos are our intellectual property and copyrighted to us. Where we use photos that do not belong to us, it is because we believe them to be in the public domain or shared under a Creative Commons licence with appropriate attribution. None of our content or images can be used without our consent. Note that a link to our Copyright & Takedown notice is included in the website footer on all pages.