The Glynn and The Luck of the Irish

Published by P&P on

Home » Places » The Glynn and The Luck of the Irish
Driving in The Glynn
Driving in The Glynn
Glynn Location
Glynn Location

Glynn, from the Irish ‘glean’ meaning ‘the valley’ is a small picturesque village in County Antrim in the barony of Lower Belfast. It is often referred to by its residents as The Glynn. It lies 23 miles north of Belfast on the banks of the River Glynn near the shores of Larne Lough.

The Glynn River
The Glynn River

“On the shore of the lough is situated the little village of Glynn, as remarkable for the neatness of its appearance as for the beauty of its situation”

Lieutenant R Stotherd Ordnance Survey Memoirs January 1834

Although a small and quiet hamlet today, Glynn has a long and sometimes turbulent history.

The Old Church

It is said that St Patrick founded a church here in 435AD. It was known as the Church of Gluaire. In the papal taxation records of 1306, Glynn church was valued at 5 marks and the presbytery at 10 shillings. Some ancient remains still exist near today’s parish church of St John. This is reckoned to be one of the oldest ecclesiastical sites in east Antrim.

Glynn Old Church on the Hill
Glynn Old Church

The remnants of the old church show a stone building with the unusual feature of a divided nave and chancel. (The nave is the area of the church used by the congregation. The chancel is the part of a church near the altar, reserved for the clergy and choir).

Inside The Glynn Old Church
Inside The Glynn Old Church

The building measured 44ft 6 inches by 17ft 6 inches. The south wall of the chancel had a pointed window while the windows in the nave were square surmounted by a slab. It is thought some of the features may have been added at a later date, when the church was repaired in the 14th century.

East Window of Glynn Church, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland - Parishes of County Antrim
East Window of Glynn Church, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Antrim
Church Arch - The Glynn
Church Window – The Glynn

Reformation and County Antrim Battles

During the Reformation, the Catholic church at Glynn (as with all other Catholic churches in Ireland), was taken into Protestant ownership. By the late 17th century, the church building itself was neglected and in ruins.

In the 16th century County Antrim was the setting for frequent battles between the native Irish, the clans who had crossed from Scotland and the Anglo-Norman invaders.

On one occasion in November 1597, the MacDonnells, led by James MacSorley MacDonnell, attacked the Norman stronghold of Carrickfergus. This castle had been founded by John de Courcy in 1177 (see Carrickfergus Castle: A Brief History in related posts below). This was a ruse to entice the English out of their fortification.

Carrickfergus Castle with town in background
Carrickfergus Castle with town in background

As the MacDonnells appeared to flee, they were pursued by a company of soldiers led by Sir John Chichester, brother of the infamous Arthur. John at this time was governor of Carrickfergus Castle.

In the valley of Altrackyn, some 5 miles from Glynn, the English were surrounded and soundly defeated. Sir John himself was captured and brought to a place just to the east of Glynn, where he was beheaded on a stone which was originally the plinth of an ancient cross.

Chichester was interred in the family mausoleum in St Nicholas Church in Carrickfergus. William McComb in his book A Guide to Belfast published in 1861, records James MacDonnell’s words on seeing this edifice

“It is related of MacDonnell, that, having afterwards gained admission to St Nicholas’s Church by stealth and in disguise, and seen Chichester’s effigy, he naively observed ‘I wonder how the de’il he came to get his head; for sure am I that I took it frae him ance’”

William McComb, A Guide to Belfast, 1861
The Chichester Vault
The Chichester Vault in St Nicholas Church with Sir John kneeling

Arthur Lord Chichester

Some twenty years later, the English king, James 1, ‘granted’ this region, including Glynn, to Arthur Lord Chichester (who already had vast estates around Belfast), as a reward for his ruthless slaughter of the native Irish population, on behalf of the English monarchy.

“Based on the fortress of Carrick, he (Arthur Chichester) ravaged the whole country and the neighbourhood became a desert. “There was not a smoking house between Carrick and Antrim” Chichester was completely ruthless in his methods ‘I spayre neither house, corne nor creature…sparing none of what quality, age or sex soever; beside many burned to death, we kill man, woman and child, horse, beast and whatsoever we find’”

Rev H J St J Clarke, Thirty Centuries in South-East Antrim, 1938

Antrim was one of the counties in Ireland where the Plantation was most intense. Scottish and northern English Protestants were ‘planted’ on land previously owned by Irish Catholic families. These English-speaking settlers would owe their property and livelihoods to England and this ensured their loyalty to the English throne. Gaelic culture, religion and language were outlawed in an attempt to Anglicise Ireland. As well as their ancestral lands being confiscated, around 6,000 Irish Catholics were transported to Sweden, a mainly Protestant country.

“Not surprisingly the native Irish in Ulster bitterly resented their treatment. An English commander articulated their sense of acute grievance when he remarked of the native Irish population of Ulster that ‘there is not a more discontented people in Christendom’”

War and Conflict: The Plantation of Ulster BBC
The Glynn - New Church
The Glynn – New Church

Glynn – The New Church

In 1840 a new church at the western end of the old churchyard was constructed. This was designed by the prominent Belfast architect, Charles Lanyon.

The vicar at the time was Francis Willett Waterson. He had been installed in the parish on 9th August 1838 and was holding services in a ‘temporary apartment’ in the village. St John’s was formally opened on Wednesday 9th December 1840.

A local legend persists that this new church has a secret underground chamber and tunnel. This leads to a nearby house. It is said that it was used to transport a large iron chest filled with gold. The treasure was buried in the graveyard, where it remains to this day!

The Graveyard at Glynn

The adjacent graveyard bears testimony to generations of families who have lived in this area. Some of the earliest legible headstones come from the early 18th century, such as Alexander Burges who died in 1717 aged 62 and John McClelland who was 82 when he died in 1714.

The Glynn Graveyard
The Glynn Graveyard
Alexander Burges Headstone
Alexander Burges Headstone

Several of the gravestones reflect Glynn’s maritime connections. One local family with strong links to the sea, were the McCleverty’s (McClaverty).

Maritime Motifs
Maritime Motifs

William McCleverty, born around 1716, joined the Royal Navy. He was a member of Commodore George Anson’s squadron during the War of Jenkin’s Ear. In the 1740’s England was at war with Spain. Anson’s fleet of 8 ships (6 warships and 2 merchant vessels), set out from Spithead, Hampshire on 18th September 1740. Their intention was to capture and destroy Spanish outposts in South America and the Pacific. The fleet returned in 1744 via China, which meant that the ships had circumnavigated the globe!

While this achievement was seen as a great triumph, the journey had taken its toll on the sailors. Of the 1,854 men who set sail only 188 returned. Most had fallen victim to the scourge of scurvy (see How a Belfast Company Helped Defeat a Killer Disease in related posts below).

Captain William McCleverty continued his career in the navy. He is reported as being involved in the notorious recruiting method of ‘Press Gangs’ – that is, taking men by physical force and ‘pressing’ them into service on board ships. While this is abhorrent to our eyes, it was not illegal as the ‘Crown claimed a permanent right to seize men’ for the Royal Navy. McClevery died on 10th December 1779 in Waterford. A memorial in his honour was erected in Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford.

The cemetery also contains the graves of those from the district who lost their lives during the two World Wars.

Glynn Inhabitants and Commerce

In the 1830’s the most common surnames in the parish of Glynn were Johnston, McFarran, Rea, McClelland, Clarke and Wilson.

Most of the inhabitants were tenant farmers, leasing the land from two major landowners – Lord Viscount Dungannon and John Irving Esquire. Mr Irving owned the lime quarries in the nearby townland of Ballylig. Known as Maghramore Lime Works this was the largest lime-producing quarry in the United Kingdom at the time. In 1836, it is recorded that 16,228 tonnes were exported to Scotland and northern England.

The main crops were oats, potatoes and flax. These were sold at Larne market only 2 miles away. Families could supplement their income by weaving linen in their own homes. This was usually done by the men.

Glynn boasted a cotton mill (later converted to a linen mill) – the bleach green here was one of the earliest in Ireland. It also had a corn mill powered by a waterwheel 18ft in diameter.

The village also had a whitening mill, 2 small shops and a post office, managed by sub-postmistress, 76-year-old Eliza Thompson.

Rooftop of the Old School House
Rooftop of the Old School House

Glynn Population

In 1834 the village contained 91 houses, all but one, single-storey thatched cottages with earthen floors. The only public building in Glynn was the schoolhouse founded in 1832 and supported by the National Board of Education. 32 children attended the school, of whom 2 were Catholic. Each pupil paid between 2 and 4 shillings per quarter.

The mail coach from Belfast to Larne passed along the main road in Glynn at 11:40am every morning and returned at 2:40pm. In winter the timing was an hour later. The horse-drawn stage coach also made a daily return journey through the hamlet. The fare to Belfast cost 3s and 3d for an inside seat and 1s and 9d for an outside one.

The people of Glynn were recorded as being respectable and industrious, if perhaps, a little dour.

“…they are not much given to amusement, and partake very much of the character of the Scots from whom they are descended”

James Boyle, Ordnance Survey Memoirs, 25th February 1835

In 1911 most of the homes in Glynn were still thatched, though over 20 had slate roofs. Most houses also had an outhouse for fowl or pigs. Out of a total population of 203, only 53 were not of the Presbyterian faith. Some described themselves as Gardenmore Presbyterians, attending the Presbyterian church on the Old Glenarm Road, (now on the Victoria Road, Larne), officiated by Rev David H Hanson.

Glynn and ‘The Luck of the Irish’

In 1936, the actor and author Richard Hayward, produced and starred in a film ‘The Luck of the Irish’ based on a book by Victor Haddick. Filming took place in the village of Glynn.

Richard Hayward
Richard Hayward

“It was in Glynn that I made the first Ulster cinematograph picture ‘The Luck of the Irish’. We could not have chosen a more lovely or suitable or more lucky spot. The helpfulness of the villagers was an inspiration to us, and I am afraid we turned their peaceful abode into a place of feverish activity. I well remember that the quiet street became so thronged with sightseers and their motor-cars that a policeman had to be sent from Larne to control the traffic. And I am quite sure that was the only time a traffic policeman ever stood in quiet, secluded, kindly Glynn”

Richard Hayward In Praise of Ulster 1946
The Glynn Traffic
The Glynn Traffic

Glynn Today

Today The Glynn remains a picturesque village in idyllic scenery. However, the main road through its centre is no longer the placid throughfare of earlier times.

The Glynn Main Street
The Glynn Main Street
The Glynn Cottages
The Glynn Cottages

Related Posts

How a Belfast Company helped defeat a killer disease

Edwards Desicatted Soup advert
The story of one Belfast company’s contribution to the fight on the twin challenges of scurvy and food poverty – Edwards Desiccated Foods

Carrickfergus Castle – A brief history

Carrickfergus Castle and sea
Carrickfergus Castle and sea

St Nicholas Church, Carrickfergus

Saint Nicholas exterior view
St Nicholas Church has a fascinating history dating back to 1182AD with great architecture & design, beautiful windows and historic artefacts

Due to illness it is likely that BelfastEntries posts will appear less frequently for the near future. We hope to see things back to normal in coming months. P&P
Do you want to see all new BelfastEntries Posts?
If you like our Facebook posts and would like to see more then please add yourself as a friend to our PandP profile screen or follow our BelfastEntries page. We cannot add posts to all groups and the only way to be sure of receiving notifications of new posts is to follow our page. You will see that the Belfast Entries page has a 5 star rating from readers

If you enjoyed this article please consider a small donation

Belfast Entries is a husband & wife hobby website featuring articles on our shared history, memories and entertaining stories of our past. To help us meet rising website hosting costs please click the coffee cup below to learn how to make a small donation. Please note that every contribution is valued and that we will not contact you directly in order to respect your privacy.

Buy Us a Coffee
Buy Us a Coffee

Donations this month 2 🙂

Thank you O

Thank you J

We had 4 donations last month

Help Us Find New Readers

If you like our posts please help us to grow our readership by sharing any posts that you like using the social media sharing icons shown with each post.

What are others reading now?

Galboly cottage view

Galboly – The County Antrim Village Lost in Time

By P&P / 30 September 2021 / 4 Comments
Mill chimney - a common sight in Belfast

Ardoyne – The Story of a Village

By P&P / 13 November 2021 / 2 Comments
Bodies Illustration at the scene Belfast Telegraph 13th March 1890

Nora’s Grave 1890 – Love & Death

By P&P / 19 March 2022 / 0 Comments
Belfast Long Bridge crossed the River Lagan between 1688 and 1841

Unusual Laws in Old Belfast 1613 – 1816

By P&P / 11 March 2022 / 0 Comments

Cost of Living Crisis

Given the current cost of living crisis that will impact so many in coming months we have added a page signposting organisations that may be able to offer support. We have no relationship with these organisations and cannot offer financial advice but we hope that some of the links may prove useful.

Ancestry Antrim Arthur Chichester artist Belfast Belfast Entries Belfast Family belfast roots Carrickfergus Castle Cemetery Church Clifton House County Antrim County Down Department Store Donegal education. family tree Famous Folk Forgotten folk Genealogy Ghost graveyard Historical places History Hotel Ireland Irish Census Records Irish Family Irish genealogy irish roots Mary Ann McCracken Operation Overlord Otto Jaffe Outlaw People Philanthropist Places to see Poor House Sailortown St Patrick Titanic Tourism United Irishmen

Belfast Entries posts & photos are our intellectual property and copyrighted to us. Where we use photos that do not belong to us, it is because we believe them to be in the public domain or shared under a Creative Commons licence with appropriate attribution. None of our content or images can be used without our consent. Note that a link to our Copyright & Takedown notice is included in the website footer on all pages.


We are a Belfast couple adding information on Belfast and the surrounding counties. Over coming months we will add a range of posts covering the people, places, products and stories that interest us and will hopefully be of interest to you. Over time we hope to build up information of use to locals & visitors alike and welcome your feedback on subjects of interest or stories that might be interest to the wider audience. Let us know what you think.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Would you like notifications of new Belfast Entries posts? OK No thanks